Department of Biotechnology (B.Sc. Biotech)
The Department of Biotechnology and Allied Sciences came into existence by way of teaching at U G level in M. B. Govt. P. G. College in 2004 at Haldwani, Uttarakhand. The main vision behind initiating this course in the college premises was to provide most up growing, applicative and professional studies in science for students of Kumoun Region. Because earlier the students willing to study in Biotechnology had to go out of state due to limited facilities in the region. Subsequently, it was upgraded as a P. G course in 2010 to fulfil the need and demand of students. Since then, owing to the sustained efforts of the faculty along with the untiring hard work of the employees under able leadership of Dr. B. K. Singh, the Department has made steady progress in all spheres of higher learning.
Department of Biotechnology and Allied sciences is situated in premises of Motiram Baburam Govt. P. G. College Haldwani, Nainital as a self financed course established since 2004-2005. Department provides three years bachelors and two years postgraduate degree in Biotechnology with full free hand exposure to different lab technique. The department of it’s own have well maintained laboratory of Microbiology, Tissue culture, Molecular biology, and Biochemistry.
Under the guidance of highly qualified faculties, six months project work for the partial fulfilment of M.Sc. degree is done in different pioneer field of Biotechnology viz. Plant tissue culture, Biochemistry, Molecular biology, Microbiology and fermentation technology. Students are given free hand practical experience to analyze a problem and it’s solution through different biotechnological tools.
Over the years Department has developed a strong research base in thrust areas in basic sciences and applicative sciences, which are relevant locally and regionally. To support the teaching and research, library facility with access to multiple copies of latest additions of standard text and reference books have been established in Department.
In addition to the academic activities, time to time, Department organizes science day, Teachers day, regular seminars, debates and many other co-curricular activities including sports activities, to groom the all round development of students.
To upgrade the scientific and practical knowledge of students in recent trends of science, study tours to leading Companies and renowned institution are organize to analyze a problem and it’s solutions through different biotechnological tools. With this, guest lecture from Scientists, Academician and Professors of India’s topmost institutes and universities (BHU, Pantnagar, CDRI, C-MAP, DRDO, Kumoun University Bhimtal, FTI Haldwani) are organized time by time to upgrade their concepts of recents trends in Biotechnology.
ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENTS AND QUALITY
- Most striking feature is it’s warm ambience and strong teacher–student rapport conducive for creative thinking and personality building.
- Offers high profile basic and professional BSc and MSc. Course of high standard.
- Attracts every year students from all over Uttarakhand and other states too.
- Till date over 400 students have been awarded BSc. degree and 150 Students M.Sc. degree.
- The laboratories are well equipped with essential equipments like PCR, in situ fermentor, Tissue culture laboratory, UV double beam spectrophotometer, Agarose and SDS PAGE electrophoresis system, Gel documentation system, Lyophilizer.
- Students regularly qualify different National entrance exams ( JNU-Biotech, IIT-JEM, BHU, G.B.P.U.A.&T. Pantnagar , IARI, ICAR-NET, CSIR-NET, U-SET)
- High student placement ratio:
Academic institutions: MDU Rohtak, DAU Pune, SRM University, GBPUA&T, Pantnagar, DRDO, IVRI and many more)
- : FICCI, BCIL, Britannia, Pepsi, Parle–G and different Pharmaceutical industries country wide.
- Dessertation work is carried in M.Sc. in different fields of Biotechnology (Plant tissue culture, Biochemistry, Molecular biology, Microbiology, Enzyme biology).
In future, a well developed research laboratory with all essential and advanced facilities has been proposed.
(Dr. B. K. Singh)
|S.No||Faculty Photograph||Name of Faculty||Designation||Qualification||View Resume|
|1||Dr. Anshulika||Asst. Professor||M.Sc. Ph.D||View Resume|
|2||Dr. B.S.Jeena||Asst. Professor||M.Sc. Ph.D||View Resume|
|3||Disha Kafaltiya||Asst. Professor||M.Sc. Ph.D||View Resume|
|4||Dr. Disha Mehta||Asst. Professor||M.Sc. Ph.D||View Resume|
|5||Dr. Pushpa Ruwali||Asst. Professor||M.Sc. Ph.D||View Resume|